There is no escaping it now, the holidays are upon us. No matter how you celebrate, you have likely added some holiday décor to your home. Lights, candles and festive plants add a wonderful, warm ambiance to areas of your home but take some extra steps to ensure that your décor pieces don’t wreak havoc on your holiday.
Avoiding a Decor Calamity in Oregon:
- Holiday trees: Holiday trees, or bushes, are a common theme in many homes around our state. They may be opulent or simple, real or fake, faux snowed or natural. Each holiday tree requires a level of care to make sure that it does not turn into a fire hazard. If your tree is real, do not forget to water it! Trees will naturally lose moisture over the course of their holiday run. Household pets may steal water from under the tree and running the heater or fireplace may dry it out as well. A dry holiday tree can become a fire hazard if left unattended. According to the National Fire Protection Association, “Between 2007-2011, U.S. fire departments responded to an average of 230 home fires that started with Christmas trees, per year.” If your tree is dry, make sure to water it regularly and turn off holiday lights. It is also a best practice to not place a holiday tree near a fireplace or heater.
- Lights: Holiday lights are used inside and outside of homes to brighten up the night. When placing your lights, make sure to place the correct type for the environment you are in. Inside lights for inside your home, outdoor lights for outside of your home or indoor/outdoor lights for either. If your lights have lived in storage since the last holiday, make sure to check that they are in proper working order free of wire frays or cuts. Frays or cuts in the wires could result in a fire under the right conditions.
- Plants: Holiday plants are all over the stores. Mistletoe and holly, wreathes and poinsettias are often incorporated into a holiday décor scheme. There is a caveat: mistletoe, holly and poinsettias are all poisonous to both pets and people. If you plan on making any of these plants apart of your holiday decorations, make sure that they are up and out of the way, free from little hands and pet nibbles. If a child or adult happens to ingest any of these plants, a call to Poison Control (800-222-1222) is a must. If it is your pet, call your vet or local emergency vet immediately.
By taking a few extra steps like unplugging your holiday lights before you go to bed or when you leave the house, can help you avoid a decor calamity this holiday season. Before the holiday décor goes up, make sure to talk to your local, independent insurance agents in Portland, OR about your homeowner’s insurance. Milt Marcy Insurance can assist you with any questions you may have, like “Does my homeowner’ insurance cover accidental fires?” Their expert agents can walk you through your policy and even add additional coverage like personal umbrella insurance should you want extra protection beyond your homeowner’s insurance. Be sure to check out their insurance website 24/7 for the other insurance products they sell and for more holiday tips visit the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission tip sheet.